Thursday 26 March 2015

Tang Zhong Method Fruit Bread

The bread doesn't do justice to the existence of strawberries!
I have read and heard about 'Tang Zhong' method bread and bun quite some time ago and how it magically turn the bread soft and fluffy and recently learnt about the 5C method but have not tried any of these method yet. I'm just too lazy to try earlier and I worry that if I failed to prepare the 'tangzhong' the whole bread will be ruined. Since there are so many good comments about it I think I shall give it a try this time. I've followed the recipe from TheWonderMummy and I've read from many websites and blog on how to prepare the 'tangzhong' before this, so that I can do it correctly. But if you never try, you can never get the hang of it, so you must try it yourself. I am using an induction cooker and a stainless steel saucepan and cook it under medium-low heat but within a few seconds or nearly a minute the 'Tangzhong' paste is form. I immediately stop the cooking by removing the saucepan and give it a stir to combine the half liquid and half paste form (as though the way we make glue in the olden days - it does smell like glue-starchy!). I then transfer it to a bowl, cover it with a cling wrap and let it cool down to room temperature. When it's cool down, I find that the moisture that trap in it makes it more runny compared to when it's cook earlier (yay succesful otherwise I'll have to redo). Ladies and gentlemen, I have to assure you that the Tangzhong method bread is really worth the effort and try, as it yields a really soft texture (even the skin) if compared to the normal bread.  I will surely use the Tangzhong method and never look back although it took a step more.

Tang Zhong Method Fruit Bread
Yield: One 750gm loaf

Tang Zhong paste (good for 1 loaf without leftover)
Ingredients
50ml water
10gm bread flour

Instructions:
  1. Whisk/stir the water and flour till it is well combined without any lumps
  2. Stir the mixture constantly over medium low heat for about 2-3 minutes until the mixture thickens up and leaves behind traces of 'line' (I guess this statement only true for the gas stove cooker, if you are using induction cooker and stainless steel saucepan, I suggest to use low heat to avoid overburn due to the fast distribution of heat)
  3. Remove immediately from the heat, transfer to a bowl and cover with cling wrap with it touching the surface. Let it cool down completely while you prepare the rest of the ingredients of the bread.
Note: The ratio of bread flour to water is 1: 5, so if you want to make more for keeping or for large quantities just follow the ratio. You may keep it in the fridge without removing the cling wrap. Discard it when you found that it turns greyish colour. 

Tang Zhong bread loaf
250gm bread flour
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp milk powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
1 egg lightly beaten
100 ml water (I've used blended strawberries and milk)
20 gm butter
1 batch of Tangzhong

Instructions:
  1. Place the Tangzhong, water/milk, egg into the bread tin. (I omitted water and replace with crushed fresh strawberries with milk).
  2. Add in the flour, and then place the sugar, salt, butter and milk powder in each corners of the bread tin.
  3. Lastly, make a well in the middle of the bread tin and place the instant yeast in it.
  4. Select white loaf function if you are making white bread or according to what are making (I am using fruit/vege function, 750gm, light crust)
  5. When you hear the second 'beep' (Joyoung bm), add in your preferred fruits/nuts. In my case I've added cranberries, raisins, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds
Happy baking!
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment