Monday 6 April 2015

Coconut Jelly

It was a hot day and one of my colleague voluntereed to bought us the coconut. I've ordered one from him and brought back home to drink as I'm too busy with my work. But I've totally forgotten about it and the next day my colleague ask whether we would like to buy the coconut again and so many other colleagues have ordered from him again.Then only I realize that I'e totally forgotten about the coconut that I've bought previously. To cut the story short, I've ordered three more coconuts from him with the intention to make coconut jelly as my husband love coconut and jelly. It was so long since I ate the coconut jelly during my university days in Alor Setar and I regretted that I never thought of making it earlier. There's a saying, when we are single we neglected the family but after marriage and got our own children we'll try to make everything in order to please everyone and that's the job of  a human called 'mother'. As I grow older I understand the meaning and quite agree with it and started to appreciate my mum more. When i pass the coconut jelly to my mum she loves it so much and ask for a second one. Below is the recipe based on my assumption from what I've eaten years ago and just tested out last Saturday.

Coconut jelly
Yield: 4 coconuts for 4-8 ppl

Ingredients
4 coconuts
10gm agar-agar(jelly) powder
castor sugar - adjust according to your own tastebud

Instructions:
  1. Pour out the coconut water from the coconut to a jug with a unit marker and take the measurement*.
  2. Scrape the coconut flesh and remain some in the coconut.
  3. Transfer to a saucepan and stir in the agar-agar powder and sugar till it dissolve.
  4. Bring it to a boil and turn off the heat. 
  5. Combine the flesh in the mixture and pour in the individual coconut till full.
  6. Leave it on a table and let it set, then chill it in the fridge for at least 2-3 hrs and serve it.
Note:
  1. For jelly with a mould, the ratio of water to agar-agar powder that I'm normally using is 200ml:1g 
  2. I'm using 1375ml:10gm in this recipe for a firmer tetxture.
Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment